The South African Police Service would like to warn residents about the increase in crime during the festive season.
The following tips can be used should a robber manage to enter your premises or get into your house:
- Robbers typically launch their attacks from the backdoor. Many times they gain access through the kitchen door because usually they are not fortified. Install proper doors in the kitchen.
- Use crossbars at the back or “burglarproof” behind the doors inside the house.If you have keys to the “burglarproof”, never leave them inside the lock. Where possible, use a padlock in addition to keys. The purpose is to make it as difficult as possible for the robbers to enter your house and to buy you time to call somebody for help.
- When you hear someone breaking your doors, unless you are absolutely sure your actions will prevent entry into the house, don not try to be a hero by pushing back behind the doors. There is a possibility that they could shoot through the door should they be armed. Do not try to block the door by putting heavy items like freezers or furniture behind it. The burglars get more angry and when they are able to finally enter, they are more likely to be violent.
- If you sleep without clothes or with the minimal clothing, get dressed as soon as you hear that someone is trying to break in or if you see or hear someone in your yard. Especially women should not stay in their night gown or wrapper. Wear trousers and an ugly top.
- If you have phoned someone for help, put your phone on silent mode and do not keep it close to you. Robbers should not get the idea that you have phoned someone.
- When the robbers manage to enter, give them whatever they want. Do not hide anything. Do not try to be a hero or to negotiate with them. Do not look at them directly or do not let them see you doing so.
- If you know any of them do not show any signs of recognition and do not mention the person’s name. However, memorise whatever features you can to help with identification and investigation.
- When they leave your house, do not chase after them.
- Be your neighbour’s keeper and if you hear or see that someone is busy breaking into their house, phone the police for assistance.
- When robbers enter your yard, do not switch lights on in your house. Switch on lights outside your house so that the robbers do not see you.
Emergency numbers in the Govan Mbeki Municipal area:
Police: 017 624 2241/2/3/4
Secunda Fire Brigade: 017 631 0155/0
ER24 Emergency Services: 084 124
Langamed South Ambulance Services: 073 099 9929
Trichardt Police Station: 017 638 0241
Kinross Police Station: 017 687 1313
eMbalenhle Police Station: 078 988 9388
Evander Police Station: 017 632 2322
Bethal Police Station: 017 647 9900
Bethal Fire Brigade: 017 647 1165
Bethal EMS (ambulance): Telkom: 10177 of Selfoon 112.