Getting your driver’s license can be exciting and nerve-racking at the same time – but it’s an experience many young people look forward to! And, if you’re lucky, your parents may be kind enough to ‘gift’ you with your first set of wheels to celebrate your newly acquired independence.
But if you’re choosing the car yourself, there are many factors to consider before making a final decision.
As exciting as car shopping may sound, it can be overwhelming. Here’s how to get started:
- Get your research on.With your requirements and budget in hand, go out there and explore the automotive world to find your new mate. Have a look through magazines, read motoring blogs and reviews – and narrow your choices down to a shortlist. Don’t get distracted by the excitement!
- Set a budget– and be realistic! Consider how much you can afford each month in car financing repayments, or what you can afford to pay upfront in cash. Remember that you will need to factor in your monthly insurance premium too.
- Establish your transport needs.You want to be sure that the car you’re buying will serve you well, whether it’s fuel efficient for your day-to-day travels or has enough space for your ‘side hustle’.
- Safety and reliability are a must! Don’t compromise on these at any cost. Ask all the relevant questions and get all the checks done.
- Take it for a spin.Once you’ve decided on a shortlist, take your potential new baby for a spin! Look out for things like blind spots, listen to how the car sounds and, generally, how the car handles the way you drive.
With these tips in hand, be sure to shop around far and wide – and enjoy the process! Whether online or in person, explore as many options as you can and choose the vehicle that ticks all your boxes. Once you’ve found your perfect vehicle, car insurance doesn’t have to be such a schlep – get an online quote from MiWay and get comprehensively covered for the ride before you drive off from the dealership.